As you grow older, not only do you grow wiser but as a sign of wisdom, you start losing your hair. Thin hair has been the result of time. But other factors like heredity, modern hair styling treatments like perming, bleaching, coloring etc. have also led to thin hair. Bad diets and stress also have an adverse effect on the thickness of hair.
The following tips give you some advice on how to control hair thinning problems:
• Color your hair: When you color your hair, they appear thicker since the process actually roughs up the hair. It is easier to give the appearance of fullness since the hair strands slide one another and lie flat against each other. Use lighter colors since they hide the scalp very easily.
• Choose a curly look: When you curl your hair, they appear fuller since the wavy look alters the surface of the hair.
• Blow-dry your hair: Blow drying the hair will make the hair two to three times thicker without harming the scalp. It plumps up the hair so that they look higher. But keep the dryer two to three times away from the hair to avoid causing excessive dryness. Also, use a conditioner after shampoo if you tend to blow dry your hair regularly.
• Use protein shampoo daily: When you wash your hair daily, the hair oils are removed, it gives the hair more body so that it looks thicker than the normal. Using shampoos with hydrolyzed animal proteins, also called thickeners, they give the hair more diameter. They coat the hair so that each shaft appears two to three times fuller than usual. Also, the hair appears fluffy and hence, looks fuller.
• Try a kitchen conditioner: Mix a tablespoon of white vinegar with a pint of water and massage onto the hair after shampooing. Vinegar changes the chemical balance of the hair to acidic and thus gives a full appearance to thinning hair.
• Use eggs: Crack an egg over the hair before shampooing. Massage it for five minutes and then rinse out. It has the same effect as protein shampoos as egg is an animal protein.
• Use minimal commercial conditioners: Usually, conditioners are used to give the volume to the hair. But people use quantities more than required and thus give the hair a limp look. Always use a teaspoon of conditioner for every wash.
• Use mousse: before going out, always style your hair with mousse to make the hair appear fuller. Since mousse contains resins, they coat the hair and add diameter to it. It lifts the hair off the scalp and gives it a fuller appearance.